Friday, May 28, 2010

Junk Trucks

Ever since I moved to LA, I've wondered about all the junk-hauling trucks that are parked around residential neighborhoods.  Usually the trucks seem to be from legitimate companies like 1-800-Got-Junk and I just assumed that they were there as cheap, if annoying, advertising ploys.  But lately, I've seen trucks with more unfamiliar names constantly parked around different neighborhoods.  Sometimes the trucks don't even have names on them.  I was curious, but never worried.  Until now.  Altadenablog.com is reporting that some of these trucks are involved in crime.  These trucks definitely haul stuff, but stuff that you might just want to keep, like your pipes.  The operation is quite sophisticated, involving mother ships and cruisers.  For a more detailed report, please go to the link above.

If I think about it, I shouldn't be surprised.  Driving around parts of the SGV, you see a lot of really nice furniture on people's porches.  This is something I never saw when I was living in England, the reason being that enterprising thieves will come in the night and haul anything not bolted down.  You can't even leave potted plants out.  Not that anything was safe in broad daylight — people have come home from work to find that all the paving stones from their driveway have disappeared.  Is the SGV so different?  I guess not.

No comments: